Tiny House Construction – Week 11 & 12
I’m getting back in to the swing of things. Watch a time lapse to see what I have been up to:
The first job after the break was to continue building the utility box on the tongue of the trailer. I finished off the framing, securing it to the house and then moved on to sheathing it. For this I used all scrap pieces of plywood, which I have in abundance. I also applied several coats of sealant to the bottom of the box to give it a little moisture protection.
Carly and I then started making the fascia boards that run down the entire length of the house and fitting them in place. This is definitely a two person job!
Next up was to start covering the house in ‘house wrap’. This adds an extra layer of moisture protection between the exterior siding and the untreated structure of the house.
Working my way up, I figured out a system to continue wrapping the house while on the ladder. Time consuming, but I got there.
Next Carly and I cut out the window openings for the house, cutting the house wrap in a
specific pattern to prevent water from getting in before stapling and taping it back.
We then watched my chosen window installation video on YouTube and copied it step by step to install the first window in the house. There are quite a few steps involved as windows can be a hot spot for leaks. After a quick inspection by Paul, the tiny house builder from the other side of the barn who just happened to be nearby, we were ready to get the first window in.
After our first success, we kept going following the same process and installing more windows. It took quite a bit of preparation to get to this stage and it was really fun to have Carly there alongside me to figure out the window installations from start to finish. We managed to get the four biggest windows installed – this was a good day.
The next day I returned to install the rest of the windows which went very smoothly, except installing my ‘tiny’ square kitchen window the wrong way round. Luckily I spotted this before the silicone dried so I could correct the error.
It’s looking more and more like a house!